Thursday, April 2, 2009

Dexter vs. Breaking Bad

We've watched the first two seasons of Dexter (and have no just started the third), and recently started watching Breaking Bad. I think the shows are somewhat similar, in that the main character in both is a likable guy with a terrible criminal side.

So why do I hate Breaking Bad and love Dexter?

In fact, I've completely stopped watching Breaking Bad--even though I acknowledge that it's a well written show. So I've given quite a lot of thought to the difference as I analyzed my feelings on both programs.

What it comes down to, I think, is that Walter, the main character in Breaking Bad, is a normal, happy family man who, upon being diagnosed with lung cancer, starts cooking and selling crystal meth. Dexter, on the other hand, is a messed-up psychopath who is addicted to killing people, but continually realizes that he is more engaged and caring than he believes.

Basically, Breaking Bad is about a man's dehumanization, and Dexter is about a man's humanization. And I guess I just get no pleasure in watching a man self-destruct, but I do get great pleasure in watching a man find more and more humanity within himself.

And that's my deep thought for the day.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

I've been a fan of Dexter since the beginning, but only recently become a fan of Breaking Bad since a friend recommended it.

I love both shows, and totally agree with you. They're opposites, in a way. Dexter is about a man who believes he is a bad person, less than human, who cannot feel emotions, yet is extremely likeable. At the same time, you realize that he is lying to himself, and that he can care and feel for others. He therefore becomes a better person while still being true to himself, a lovable serial killer.

Walter White is the opposite - a lovable husband, father and chemistry teacher who turns to the dark side. He remains interesting to me because I wonder if he's like another famous character who went that way, and I keep hoping for his redemption. It's strange because this past season I've seen signs that both may go "dark" (possibly reflecting the current economic situation). Dexter was making progress until... and Walter was saying he was going to reform, but... perhaps this season will be a new "dark ages."