Monday, April 13, 2009

Public Service Announcement

My brother-in-law has a rare form of leukemia--usually reserved for people over the age of 65. (Did I mention that he is not yet 30?) It's not typically fatal by itself (as his doctor said when he was diagnosed two years ago, you die with it, you don't die from it), but it has certainly made his life more difficult and less pleasant.

He was recently in the hospital for two and a half weeks for, basically, the flu. Because this most recent bout of illness was so serious, the doctors have started talking about a bone marrow transplant again.

Which brings me to the subject of this public service announcement.

Please register with the National Marrow Donor Program. It costs $52, and they send you a kit to do a cheek swab. Then you're registered, and whammo! have the potential to save someone's life.

I don't know whether my brother-in-law will end up needing marrow...but someone will.

No comments: